“A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.” National Curriculum 2014
At St Lawrence Primary our intent is:
- To provide regular opportunities for pupils to observe and record from first-hand experience
- To empower pupils to express their own personal responses
- To encourage pupils to be creative and inspired as well as to think critically
- To build on prior learning so that there is increasing challenge for the children as they move up through the school
- To pursue a range of materials to draw, paint and sculpt whilst developing techniques in using colour, texture and pattern.
We use a variety of teaching and learning styles in art and design lessons St Lawrence School. Art is taught through the topics of our Cornerstones curriculum. We ensure that the act of investigating and making something includes exploring and developing ideas, and evaluating and developing work. We do this best through a mixture of whole-class teaching and individual/group activities. Teachers draw attention to good examples of individual performance as models for the other children. They encourage children to evaluate their own ideas and methods, and the work of others, and to say what they think and feel about them. We give children the opportunity within lessons to work on their own and collaborate with others, on projects in two and three dimensions and on different scales. Children also have the opportunity to use a wide range of materials and resources, including ICT.
We recognise the fact that we have children of differing ability in all our classes, and so we provide suitable learning opportunities for all children by matching the challenge of the task to the ability of the child.
- Children are able to express themselves through art and be able to justify their views and opinions on other people’ art.
- Children grow up to be aware of their surroundings and the beauty of nature as the starting point to create art.
- Data shows that the attainment in Art is in line with core subjects.