“Learning a foreign language is a liberation from insularity and provides an opening to other cultures.” National Curriculum 2014
At St Lawrence Primary our intent is:
- To develop enthusiastic and inquisitive language learners who are able to communicate with increasing confidence and accuracy, both orally and in writing.
- To foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of other cultures and countries.
- Our MFL curriculum is designed to progressively develop skills and confidence in languages through weekly lessons.
- Children acquire, use and apply the vocabulary, grammar and skills to express their ideas and thoughts in French and to understand and respond to spoken French.
- Children practise a balance of spoken and written French, depending on their age and experience.
- Data shows that the attainment in French is in line with core subjects.
- We focus on teaching French so that pupils can make substantial progress in this language, whilst providing them with the skills and knowledge for further language learning in Key Stage Three and beyond.